HISTORY OF KEMU

The original idea for the establishment of a medical college for the undivided Punjab was placed before the Imperial Government in 1857, but shelved because of ‘War of Independence’, The need was so great that is was decided to make the beginning by establishing a Medical School in 1860. At that time the only other Medical School in Indo-Pakistan Sub-Continent was situated in Calcutta. In August, 1860, Dr. IB. Scriven of the General Hospital in Calcutta was invited to become the Principal of the proposed Lahore Medical School, which was to be the second such Institution in Indo Pakistan Sub-Continent.
Dr. Scriven with Dr. Smith, a Civil Surgeon, conducted the first Matriculation Examination on the 1st of November, 1860 having arrived in Lahore on 10th of October, 1860. The classes were to be held in and English 20 students qualified for the Hindustani class in initial examination while a000nother qualifying examination was held on the 15th November, 1860 allowing 24 more students to qualify for the class thus producing a total of 44 students for the Hindustani class. only 5 students were enrolled for the English Class of which only 2 persisted on the College Rolls after a year; one European, and one Indian, English was not widely known in the province at that time.

Dr. I.B. Scriven
1860-1870
In keeping with the modest beginning, the newly created institution was designated as Lahore Medical School and started functioning in Artillery Barracks at the present site of the Government College, with a Hospital located in a foreign stable near the present Tibbi Police station in Taxali Gate, almost a mile away from the college. This arrangement according to Dr. Scriven was most inconvenient and insufficient for the needs of the community. In October, 1860 the hospital had 56 patients.

The only posts sanctioned by the Government in the beginning were those of the Principal , who started teaching Anatomy, Physiology; and a Professor ( Dr. T.E. Burton Brown) who commenced his lectures on Chemistry, Materia Medica and Botany Dr. Smith who had spent several years in the Punjab was put Incharge of the Hindustani Classes and was assisted by Mr. Harrison. Dr. Mohammad Hussain Khan and sub-assistant surgeon Rahim Khan. Dr. Neil , the Garrison Assistant Surgeon in Lahore was appointed as Assistant Professor to teach Anatomy. The school soon gained in popularity which was evidenced by the steady increase in the member of students which rose to 40 by the year 1870 in English Classes and 87 in the Hindustani Classes.

27 students passed the native Doctor’s Examination in 1863 and one student by the name of John Andrews passed the Sub Assistant Surgeons examination in 1865. In 1864 15 vacancies had been created for the students from the North Western Frontier Province to make up the deficiencies of the Pushto speaking doctors. The same year, College and the hospital was shifted to Shah Alami Gate, which was nearer to the Civil Hospital in Anarkali and provided more opportunities for the study of the patients and postmortem cases.
One of the main difficulties of the newly created Lahore Medical School was to popularize Western medicine against superstition, quackery and indigenous healing arts in a custom ridden society. This acted as concert with a lack of foresight of a Government unwilling to loosen their money purse strings. However according to the Principal report of 1868 during the 1867 Cholera Epidemic, fresh native doctors were sent to the affected areas and by virtue of their sound training and working habits alleviated the previously severe misery faced by their fellow countrymen and generated good will and acceptance for themselves in the society.

In 1868 the Senate of the University of Dublin granted students of the Lahore Medical School ” privilege similar to the granted to students from English Schools” , who have not passed the college of Surgeons of England. This along with the establishment of Gilchrist Scholarships opened up avenues of further studies for Punjabi students.

The Lieutenant Governor of the Punjab, Mr. 0 F. Mcleod in his departing report for 1869-70 expressed his pleasure at the progress of the school and felicitated Dr. Scriven and his team. He hoped that the Government would do its part by providing more staff and money to the school, whose graduates, though considered by some to be somewhat concerted were as proficient as any in rest of India.

The present famous Mayo Hospital building was completed in 1870. It was opened in 1871 and was named after the Earl of Mayo, the then Viceroy. The Architect Purdon designed the building and Roy Bahadur Kanhaya Lal was the Engineer. The new Hospital, building was built in Italian style, double storied, bricked with Delhi stone brackets, a sloped slate roof, ventilating turrets. The new building cost RS. 1.58,951/- with a contribution of RS. 1,00,000/- from the Government of India and RS. 26,697/- from the Lahore Municipality and rest was made up by the Punjab Government. Patients from Anarkali Dispensary shifted in May, 1871 resulting in better patient care and more medico-legal cases for study by the students. Simultaneously the Civil Surgeon was relieved of the task of attending the Anarkali Dispensary except for Police cases. In October, 1871 Earl of Mayo, Viceroy of India visited the Hospital and in memory of his visit the Hospital was named as Mayo Hospital.

Until 1870, the Medical School had been granting its own diplomas to Sub-assistant Surgeons and native doctors. With the opening of the Punjab University College that year, it was. arranged so that the new College would undertake the conduct of examination and granting of University diplomas. The first such examination was held in October, 1871 by Diploma in Medicine. During the next 13 years the Punjab University College awarded diplomas to 145 successful students. It is matter of interest to note that the Medical College has a longer history than the University of the Punjab, and the relationship between the two has always been cordial and cooperative. The College was then as now independent in all affairs in teaching and administration except for conducting examinations.

By 1871, the number of applicants had overtaken the number of available vacancies. That year, 190 candidates applied for 40 vacancies. The Hindustani class was composed of people in government service or those supported by various local funds, the former being inducted by competitive examination. The language of instruction in this class was Urdu.

1870 saw the establishment of a Hakims Class consisting of sons and relatives of Hakims with some knowledge of Unani medical system.


Dr.T.E.Burton Brown
1871-1889

This formed another division of the Hindustani class with emphasis of Anatomy and Surgery to fill the vacuum in the Unani system regarding these branches of modern medical science.

The Lahore medical School was moved from the old barracks to the erstwhile Railway Hostel near the Mayo Hospital, a more spacious building. Its large stables comprising nine stall, harness rooms and a coach house were converted into a dissection room and an injection room. The move was effected in a single day, without any damage or interruption in teaching.

The first group of students from the North western Province was admitted in 1864. As the production of Sub-Assistant Surgeons was expected to outstrip the demand by the Punjab Government, half the scholarships for the English class were earmarked for students from the North Western Province.

Dr. T.E. Burton Brown, the Principal in 1875, had for some time been pressing for a new school building, but the government replied with their usual answer of lack of funds to do so . This was in spite of the contribution of the School towards the welfare of the government by producing 52 Assistant Surgeons and 215 Hospital Assistants for government service. The public and the government were conscious of the performance of the School and the esteem in which it was held, but this did not stop the Lieutenant Governor from charging the graduates with a lack of refinement and their behavior towards the patients being” not kindly and considerate”, though he could not find fault with their medical training.

A class for training Civil Hospital Assistants to serve under the government was an important addition to the school. Eight students joined in 1879. The Nawab of Bahawalpur instituted the Grey Scholarship worth RS. 10,000 in honour of Major Grey, a former Political Agent of Bahawalpur.

A continuous supply of graduates to the Armed Forces started with 15 fresh Assistant Surgeons volunteering for military duty with the Kabul Forces in 1882. The same year, a Midwifery class for ‘dais’ was started. In 1883, this class had only two Muslims out of a total of 20 midwives; the English class had eight Muslim in a class of 61 in 1883, and 12 Muslims out of 82 in 1885. The dropout rate in 1883 was 16% in the English class and 24% in the Hindustani class. This led to the prescription of more stringent tests for admission.

The first building of the Medical School was built in the same style as the Mayo Hospital. it was completed in 1883. The next year, a nursing class was also started. Women students were allowed to register for regular courses in the same class as men for the first time.

J.E. Hilton Executive Engineer, Lahore designed and constructed a new dissection room in 1887. Student’s debating society was formed. Staff and students read and discussed medical and scientific papers. Prizes were awarded for essay writing.
The Marchioness of Dufferin and Anna inaugurated the Lady Aitchison Hospital and distributed prizes, Students admitted into the Indian Medical Service, demonstrating the School’s increasing recognition. Four Assistant Surgeons had been previously admitted.

Lt. Col. S.A. Browne 1889-1903
The Punjab University, was formally created on the 14th of October; 1882 . It had a Faculty of Medicine to function as a body to hold examination and confer diplomas and degrees upon graduates of the Medical School.

This institution came to be known as the Lahore Medical College in 1886. Till 1887, The University awarded the diploma of Licentiate in Medicine to candidates graduating through the English class for western medical science. Students studied for the title of Hakim Haziq , Umdat ul Hukama, Zubdat ul Hukama under the Unani system, in the vernacular. Under the Ayurvedic system, the titles were Vaida’ Bhishak, and Maha Bhishak. In May 1888, however, the 28 Unani and 8 Vedic system students were transferred with their teachers to the Medical School. Their numbers continued to diminish. The end of 1898 brought another migration for them, to the Islamia and DAV Colleges respectively. This left the Lahore Medical College with only students studying the western medical sciences.

The first College Day was held in the college library on the 5th. of November, 1888. The Lieutenant Governor of the Punjab presided.

The Faculty of Medicine prepared a series of Regulations for the Bachelor and Doctor of Medicine degree examinations. The First degrees were conferred in 1891, when the title of the inferior diploma was changed the Licentiate in Medicine and Surgery. Miss. H. Connor was the first woman student to pass the final examination of the Licentiate in medicine and surgery of the Punjab University, in 1889, but she had only a few more months to live. In November, lady Landsdowne laid the foundations of Lady Lyall’s Home, a new hostel for 30 women students.

An outstanding student of the College was Muhammad Abdul Ghani; admitted after his BA from the Punjab University, who compiled a Botany test while a student in medical college and was recommended for the Gilchrist scholarship. That year, 1890, lady Lyall’s Home was completed. Mrs. Hammond was the first lady Superintendent.

Two alumni of this institution joined the Indian Medical Service after successful completion of advanced studies in England. They were placed 3rd and 14th. on the merit list of 14 successful candidates out of 45 applicants for the Service.

To cater for the increasing numbers of students, 322 in 1892, an additional Professor for the Chair of Materia Medica and Pathology was appointed by the Secretary of State for India. There were now eight professor compared to 14 in the Calcutta college. The Anatomy museum was granted RS. 1000.


Lt. Col. F.F. Perry 1903-1908
It was noted that the pass percentage in annual examinations had greatly decreased. According to the Principals report for 1893-94, the causes were

( a ) deficient preliminary education:

(b) inadequate numerical strength of College teachers

(c) a defective educational system.

Changes in the professional staff in 1895 led to a fall in the number of students clearing the clinical subjects. Written examinations were conducted by professors from other medical colleges in the country. It was suggested that internal examiners play a greater part in the assessment of the students’ performance. The University required•• candidates to secure at least 50% marks to pass the examinations, rendering the process a mechanical test ability. Furthermore many students failed the tests by only one mark.

The general public and other students were also disturbed with the university’s record, since an increment in the number of failures could be seen in all the examinations of the University and not the medical ones alone. Consensus said that examinations at all stages were too difficult for a ” youth of ordinary ability”, though he be well taught. The results, it was said, were not comparable with those of other universities as the passing mark was higher in the Punjab, markedly so for the higher examination, whereas the standard of question papers fluctuated greatly. The government decided to lower the standard and bring it at par with the other Indian Universities to allow more students to pass. However, as the entrance examination was considered an inappropriate criterion to judge the academic suitability of students in a milieu where education was not sufficiently advanced, the next year the University Senate decided upon the Intermediate examination in Arts as the minimum entrance requirement, to be effected from 1897. This would prompt an increase in the pass percentage and raise standards, albeit there was a temporary decrease in the number of students on the rolls.

A building housing the Post- mortem theatre and a small two room Pathology laboratory was built in 1895.

During the last five years of the 1800′s the minimum entrance requirement for the Assistant Surgeon for the Assistant Surgeon class was raised to the intermediate Science or the First Arts examinations. A preliminary scientific examination was instituted for the second year of this class. Also a class was started for the training of selected Ward Orderlies.

At the turn of the century, a College for university degree and diploma courses and a School for Health Assistants could be discerned under the blanket of this institution. A class for compounders was started in April 1901. In the College department, 55 students received scholarships from the Punjab government, governments of the North western and Central Provinces, Municipal committee and duffer in Funds, In the School department, 170 received stipends. RS.l 00,000 were finally sanctioned for a hostel.

With the official affiliation of the College with the Punjab University in 1906, the primary science teaching was transferred to the Government College, relieving the Professor of Anatomy and Physiology of a heavy burden. The concomitant revision of Medical Regulations and updating by the University increased the strain on the staff with a resultant addition of the following during 1908-09:-

Professor of Pathology
Professor of Midwifery and diseases of women.
Professor of Ophthalmic Surgery and Disease of the Ear, Nose &
Throat.
Assistant to the Professor of Medicine.

Assistant to the Professor of Materia Medica Assistant to the Professor of Physiology.
Meanwhile, in spite of rising expenditure, there had been a fall in the number of students and a sustained low pass percentage in examinations. The differing viewpoints of the academicians and the bureaucrats regarding the function and problems of this institution can been seen in the correspondence between the Inspector General of Hospitals and the Principal. The former had expressed apprehension at the low pass percentage from both the College and the School, resulting in difficulty in filling vacancies, particularly on the military side fed by the School, and asked for measures to reverse the trend . He also questioned the efficiency of the College since expenditure had increased despite fewer students.

According to the Principal, the fall in the average number of students on college rolls was due to several reasons. New Medical Regulations had been introduced by the University and enforced without the usual two years notice. Thus, at the time of applying for entrance, many students found themselves ineligible because they had either not done their Intermediate Science course or not taken the Biology and Chemistry tests now required. Also, the admission date had been changed with the Government College academic year starting in May whereas College Classes always started in October, Moreover, there had been a delay in informing intending applicants through the government gazette and public newspapers. This, compounded by a misunderstanding as to whether the government or the College would admit new entrants, led to many students missing the closing date, or , if in other provinces, being not admitted altogether.

Nevertheless, the number of applicants still exceeded the available vacancies.
The number of free students was curtailed because of a lack of cadavers for dissection. The principal was in favors of increasing the” pay prospects and status of the Hospital Assistant class as a whole,” to offer them an incentive.

While considering the maintenance cost, it should be remembered that the School and College catered for the needs of the whole of Northern and Central India and Burma, producing University graduates as well as hakims, hospital assistants, hospital orderlies, nurses and dais.

During 1906-11, the Chemical Examiner vacated several rooms on his departure from the College premises. A separate Department of Physiology came into being and separate museums of Materia Medica, Hygiene and Midwifery were established.

The scarcity of cadavers for dissection and only one hospital to provide patients for study by students of both the College and the School impinged upon the efficiency of the institution, with consequent restriction of new admission. This was inspite of an increased popularity of sub assistant Surgeon diploma classes due to increased pay and raised status recently granted them.

Scholarships were diverted with the transfer of the preliminary science teaching to the science colleges and the opening of a new Medical College in Lucknow which claimed finances from the United and Central Provinces.
To remedy the falling numbers of successful candidates, test examinations were instituted and only students clearing these were allowed to appear for the university examinations. This proved effective, as shown by the improved pass percentage in the 1911-12 examinations.

Lt. Col. D.W. Sutherland
1909-1921

New professors for pathology, Ophthalmic Surgery, Midwifery and Diseases of Women were added to the staff with the splitting of the Chair of Materia Medical and Pathology. Also enlisted were Assistants to the Professors of Physiology, Medicine and Materia Medica; three Clinical Assistants to the Professors of Surgery, Ophthalmic Surgery and Midwifery; and Demonstrator in Anatomy.

The financial handicap of the College was at last acknowledged and it was sought to rectify the situation by taking advantage of the King Edward Medial Memorial Fund. A public meeting on the 31st. of July, 1910 approved the proposals for the construction of a new, bigger Medical College and the expansion of its attached hospitals: the Mayo, The Albert Victor and the Lady Aitchison. The foundation stone of the Mayo Hospital extension as part of the King Edward VII Memorial was laid on the 21st of December, 1911.

Lt. Col. Sutherland, the Principal, felt that a second chance should be given to students who had not cleared the Biology and Chemistry tests in the first attempt, to enable them to be eligible for entrance to the College. The University did not agree with his proposal submitted in 1912, but the Supplementary examinations were instituted later

The paucity of Lady Doctors needed to run Zanana Hospitals and Dispensaries was also noted by the Principal. Many girls of good families did not” care to read in the classes with boy students” Women from the Ludhiana Medical School were to be encourage to join the College.

On the 12th. of February, 1913, the students went on strike, till the 28th. of February. Consequently, four striking students were detained for a year and the scholarships of six were forfeited. An Enquiry Committee was appointed by the Punjab Government but its reports is unavailable and the grievances of the students are not clear. The strikewas perhaps triggered off by uncomplimentary remarks in British newspapers about Indian students studying in Great Britain and Scotland, who had acquired professional distinction. The Principal refused to approach higher authorities with the indignation of the students at the press comments. Ninety of the military class students were rusticated, though the conduct of the school students was reported to be satisfactory.

A Professor of Operative Surgery was appointed in 1915. Three assistant Surgeons were appointed as demonstrators in Anatomy and Physiology and a lecturer in Pathology. Tutorial groups were started with the increments in staff. Work had started on the medical college extension project in 1914. The research block comprised the new Pathology, Physiology, and Hygiene Departments. The Viceroy, Lord Haringe of Penhurst, inaugurated the main block in 1915 on the tenth of November, Extensions to the Materia Medica and Anatomy block were also completed.

Lt. Col. H.Ainsworth
1922-1923

With the expansion of the College and its rolls and the reversion of many staff members to military during the first World War, the burden on the rest of the staff increased greatly. The Principal proposed to the government the separation of the duties of the Principal of the College and the superintendent of the Hospital.
Though space would soon become scarce again, the completion of the new College buildings brought temporary relief. The K.E.M.C. comprised:-

(a) Patiala Block: administrative offices, a large library – cum examination hall, four lecture theatres, a museum, a council room and common rooms for staff and students,
(b) Bahawalpur block: the pathology Department on the ground floor and the Physiology Department on the first floor each with a lecture theatre, practical classrooms, work rooms, etc. Rooms on the first floor were reserved for a Hygiene Department.
(c) Faridkot Block: a complete unit for teaching Anatomy. (d) Kapurthala Block: the Department of materia Medica.
(e) A cold storage block with separate Pathology and medicolegal postmortem theatres.

More and more applications were being received for admission each year: the number had doubled over the previous five years. The military department alone required ninety new graduates every year. Hence Punjab civil and Burma entrants were cut down from 15 to 10, with no admissions for potential privately financed students from Indian states and Municipalities.
This led to frustration for the rejected applicants and also left the governments requirements unfulfilled. The College and School vied with each other for the lion’s share of vacancies and facilities.

Finally, the only, option left was something that had been urged over the years, namely, shifting the School to Amritsar, which had a big hospital and a large number of unclaimed bodies available for dissection. The separation or-the College and School was effected in October, 1920. The next year, the College rolls listed 439 students as against 231 in 1916.

There was no special provident fund for the staff then, though some did subscribe to the general government provident fund. Students were not medically examined. The tutorial group system, besides being of academic value, played a social role with a close and intimate contact between students and teachers, and provided a substitute for formal religious and moral instruction. In contrast to other universities in the country, there was no communal prejudice in the KEMC. and the political unrest did not affect its placed working. Only two students participated in the non-cooperation movement and left the College.

For instruction in Midwifery, students from this college used to go to Madras. Since the maximum number of students entertained was 60, either the number of admissions had to be limited to around 60 or some provision for teaching midwifery had to be made in Lahore. This situation was brought to a head when the Government of Madras discontinued receiving KEMC students in 1925-26. A temporary maternity hospital was set up for practical midwifery classes till the expected completion of a permanent hospital in 1927. The entries in 1924 were restricted to 75 students.

A university regulation requiring students to attend 20 midwifery cases under adequate supervision precipitated another fall in the number of admissions in those years. In 1928-29, 18 students less than the previous years were admitted: the number of Muslims fell from 182 to 168. The next year, there were 153 Muslims as against 265 non-Muslims. However, in 1928-29, a total of 26 pupils were trained at the temporary maternity hospital in Lahore.

Lt. Col. Harper-Nelson, in his annual Principal’s report for 1932-33, discussed the situation of the College at length. He said he realized that his proposals, such as those for a Pharmacology Department extension, swimming pool, better hostels and playing fields, entailed expense, but it was up to the government to devise means to meet the expenditure. The College had always been a victim of the government’s financial stringency in spite of a continuous voicing of demands for adequate financing and having proved its worth to the government and the people. It was necessary, he said to bolster the College and provide a sound superstructure for the welfare of the Province. He noted that no improvement either in accommodation or facilities had taken place over the past year, which was probably the worst in the history of the College in this respect.

On the other hand, a questionnaire had been issued, which was a virtual indictment of the College. In replying to this scrutiny, his office staff had to work six weeks, nights and holidays included. This questionnaire had created a sense of insecurity in the staff and diverted their energies to worrying about their future and performance instead of devoting them to constructive purposes.


Lt. Col. J.J.Harper-Nelson
1930-1935

Lt. Col..H.H. Broome
1923-1930
Lt. Col. Harper-Nelson pointed out that the reputation of the College was widespread; applications for undergraduate studies had been received from, South America, Jamaica, Hong Kong, The Malay States, and Rome, Former students had obtained the MRCP ( London & Edinburgh), FRCS ( England and Edinburgh), Diplomas in Public Health, Tropical Medicine, Hygiene, Midwifery and Diseases of the Eye. These successes of alumni abroad pointed to a deep understanding of medical teaching in their almamater which was jeopardized by financial strangulation. A special mention was made of the deficient resources of the materia medica Department in the report.

The report spoke of the success of the mixed classes with 20 women on the rolls, but said that proper accommodation and comfort must be provided to the ladies, like at other institutions, in the country, and they be protected from untoward influences.

The Government Hospital for women and children had been officially opened by the Countess of Willingdon, on March 11 1933 and named after her. It had provided training in and Obstetrics to the college students for two years, but the building had only now been completed. However, it did not have enough beds to cater for all the students and was so far off as to interfere with their attendance at classes in the College.
Demands for an expansion of the Lady Willingdon Hospital fell on deaf ears. To add insult to injury, the Indian medical Council in its turn criticized the College. The problem was that students received Practical Midwifery training in batches of five at a time due to a lack of accommodation and they could be kept for only 24 days. This fell short of the month of attendance required by regulations. Consequently, the College was disaffiliated in 1930 and as a compensation for space shortage, admission were cut from 75 to 60.

Since the College catered, besides Punjab, for the North west Frontier Province, Delhi Province, Baluchistan Administration, Jammu and Kashmir State and Punjab States, of the 75 normal seats, Punjab students were allotted 55 Seats, 20 being reserved for students from the other areas. About 300 applications were received from the Punjab every year.

The Director General, India Medical Service, wrote a letter of appreciation of the college staff, but it served only to cover up the Scrooge like attitude of the administration towards the institution.

In 1935 the College celebrated the completion of its 75 years of existence in November, despite the refusal of the government to grant RS. 6000 for the Diamond Jubilee celebrations.


Lt. Col. T.A. Hughes 1935-1936
There was a banquet, sports, dinners, concerts, illuminations. His Excellency the Governor of the former Punjab attended with his Ministers and Heads of Departments. The college was eulogized in speeches. Public commendation was forthcoming.

In his report for 1935-36, the Principal again complained of lack of funds.
Lt. Col. Harper- Nelson was unable to continue because of ill health. he went on leave preparatory to retirement in November 1935.
The College was again recognized for the MMBS degree by the General Medical Council of Great Britain in 1936 with retrospective effect. The DLO postgraduate course was started . The BDS degree was also instituted by the Punjab University. Construction of a swimming tank was started, financed by the Students Fund. Capt. Illahi Buksh Joined as the Professor of Pharmacology and Therapeutics.

The Materia Medica Block was extended in 1937-38. Women students were awarded a number of scholarships from the Countess of Dufferin Fund, bringing the total scholarships to 64. An Embryology section was opened in the Anatomy department. Dr. Riyaz-e-Qadeer was the only staff member to pass the primary FRCS(Eng.) examination held in Bombay. A physical instructor and a chemist were appointed.

Research work, hitherto fore restricted along with other facilities, was being emphasized RS.7000 were allocated by the government for research on pneumonia in 1939. X-ray films were added to the Anatomy Department to aid teaching. An applied Therapeutics course was started for the Final Year students. Practical demonstrations in rural sanitation were arranged to impart pragmatic training and improve rural health services.

A visiting team from England held the teaching of Anatomy and Physiology to be equivalent to that in some of the best medical schools in United Kingdom.


Lt. Col. A. M. Dick
1939-1941
The British Medical Association ( Punjab branch) arranged a series of lectures on important subjects of Medicine.The outbreak of the Second World War brought the students forward to volunteer in a body to serve the government. The Principal immediately organized a Medical College Ambulance Corps which completed its training with a deputed army sergeant major in February. Air-raid precaution classes were held. Women students trained for first aid with the Red Cross. The nursing staff also organized working parties to join the provincial Red Cross Society

Lt. Col. P.B. Bhatrucha
1036 – 1939

The College was making a substantial contribution towards the Indian Army Medical Corps. A joint conference of the medical specialists of the north western army and central common was held in the college in January, 1944. The College rolls registered a gradual fall in numbers during this time.

Government purchased a plot worth Rs.400,000 and earmarked it for the expansion of the college, the principal pressing for a Biochemistry laboratory and a Photographic Department for Pathology. Revision of the teaching terms of the College started in order to economize the students time.

The Anatomy Department encouraged its staff members to engage in more research and postgraduate work, but frequent transfers of the junior teachers and a heavy workload hampered endeavors in this direction. The Department of Pharmacology taught pharmacy, Pharmaceutics and Pharmacology jointly with the University, the Professor of the Department also being the head of the University’s Pharmaceutical section.

Lt. Col. V.R. Mirajker
1941-1942
The Pathology Department catered to various government and aided hospitals, dispensaries and charitable hospitals in the provinces, which formed the bulk of its work. More local laboratories were being established, but with an increase in both the diagnostic services of the Department and the number of charitable institutions eligible for free service at this laboratory, the examinations carried out, numbered 22, 542 as against 19,053 the previous year. In 1945-46, a full time biochemist was sanctioned to aid the Professor in teaching Chemical Pathology and running the laboratory.

The establishment of a mobile research unit for epidemiological research was sanctioned with effect from the following financial year.

Lt. Col. Harper nelson was succeeded by Lt. Col. T.A. Hughes who remained Principal for only a year and died in 1936. He was succeeded by Lt. Col. P.B. Barucha who was Principal till 1939 when he was appointed Inspector General of Civil Hospitals, Punjab and was succeeded by Lt. Col. A.M. Dick as Principal. Lt. Col. Mirajker took the Chair of Surgery and It. Col. B.S. Nat became Professor of Operative Surgery. Lt. Col. Barucha had served the College with distinction as Professor of Anatomy and later as Professor of Surgery Lt. Col. Dick retired in 1941 and was succeeded by Lt. Col. V. R. Mirajker who retired as Principal in 1941.

In April 1942 Lt. Col. N. S. Hayes took over as Principal and continued until 10 December 1944 when he died in harness. Lt. Col. Hayes had served the college with distinction first as Professor of Physiology and then as Professor of Midwifery and Gynecology.

Lt. Col. S. Sargood Fry 1944-1947
The Midwifery and Gynecology Museum at the Lady Willingdon Hospital is a permanent reminder of his great services. Lt. Col. Hayes was succeeded by Lt. Col. A. Sargood Fry as Principal and Dr. M. Black assumed charge as Professor of Midwifery and Gynecology on the 2od. February, 1945.

Lt. Col. S.H. Hayes 1942-1944
Lt. Col. Fry went on leave preparatory to retirement in June 1947 and was succeeded by Lt. Col. B.S. Nat. Dr. Amir ud Din was appointed Professor of Clinical Surgery on transfer from Amritsar and Lt. Col. S.M.K. Mallick who was Principal and Professor of Medicine in Glancy Medical College Amritsar was appointed as Professor of Medicine in place of Dr. Yar Muhammad Khan who retired on the 30th April, 1947.

Lt. Col. B.S. Nat
1947
Drs. Shujaat Ali, Riyaz-i.Qadeer, M.A. Pirzada and A. Hamid Sheikh took over as Professor of Physiology, Clinical Surgery, Clinical Medicine and Pathology respectively. Dr. M. Bashir was Professor of Ophthalmology Ear, Nose,& Throat and Dr. Amir ud Din took over as Professor of Surgery. Lt. Col. lllahi Bakhsh remained Principal from 1947 until his retirement except for a short period in 1955 when Lt. Col. S.M.K. Mallick was Principal

At the time of partition out of 489 students in the College, 234 were Hindus and Sikhs, who migrated to Indian Universities in 1947 and 228 Muslims and Christian students joined King Edward Medical College, Lahore from Indian Institutions. The migrations to King Edward Medical College were as follows:-

I. Glancy Medical College Amritsar 165 including 50 students of LMS class
II. Women Christian Medical College, Ludhiana 7 LMS class students including one student of LSMF class.
III. Prince of Wales Medical College, Patna One
IV. King George Medical College Lucknow Six
V. Agra Medical College, Agra Twenty-six
VI. Grant Medical College, Bombay One
VII. Gwalior Medical College Gwalior One
VIII. Lady Hardinge Medical College, Delhi . Nineteen

Of the 606 students in the College, 593 were Muslims, 11 Indian Christians and 2 European and Anglo-Indians.

Lt. Col. IIlahi Bakhsh was the First Pakistani Principal of the College. He and other Muslim staff took over from the Hindu and Sikh Teachers on the afternoon of the 14th August, 1947.

Dr. M.A.H. Siddiqui was the MS of Mayo Hospital, till his deputation to the Dow Medical College, when Professor Amir ud Din relieved him.

In the early days of independence, the college and hospital had to remain at battle stations to administer treatment to the near destitute masses of humanity pouring in to Pakistan. After the first year of extreme difficulty and organizational handicap, even the students were able to cope well with the situation.

Lt. Col. Ilahi Bakhsh
1947-1954, 1955 – 1959


Casualties were accommodated in varandahs of Surgical Wards, In Medical and Eye Wards and the United Christian Hospital and the Forman Christian College. With students and social workers, the department of Surgery, Clinical Surgery and Anatomy under Professor Air du Din, Riaz Qadir and Captain Sardar AIi Sheikh worked round the clock for several months to restore normalcy. Stoppage of traditional supply of cholera vaccine from the Kasauli Research Institute due to the partition created a crises, which the Pathology Department resolved by starting the manufacture of anti cholera vaccine with the help of trained personnel and the Muslim laboratory assistants migrated from Kasauli.
Skyhigh yet down to earth. The Quaid-I-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah sitting in . the lawn surrounded by the workers of the Alus/im Students Federation including many Kemcolians.
Department resolved by starting the manufacture of anti cholera vaccine with the help of trained personnel and the Muslim laboratory assistants migrated from Kasauli.
Pakistan emerges as a new State on the World map in 1947. Amongst jubilation and celebrations Pakistan flag is hoisted on the sacred soil of Pakistan.
In the wake of this unique historical achievement, there is the tragedy during the biggest exchange of population in the history of the world Wave after wave of human flood escaping from the communal riots which gripped the Indo-Pakistan subcontinent, ushered in with untold miseries and loss of life and property.

In the face of this unprecedented burden the new State of Pakistan mobilized all its resources and its meager medical manpower to cope with the tremendous volume of preventive and curative work in the sprawling refugee camps all along the border region of the country.

The immediate problems were food, shelter and clothing and long term planning for permanent settlement of the newly arrived citizen of the state. who took no less a part in the Pakistan movement then all the permanent residents of areas destined to fall within the boundaries of the new State of Pakistan.

King Edward Medical College was the only seat of medical learning in the entire country and that too was left badly mauled due to exodus of non-Muslim teaching staff who were in vast majority at the time of independence.

The new generation of Kemcolians took on the challenge under the prevailing spirit of showing our worth as architects of the new nation under the directive of the Quaid – e – Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah in the following words:

“GOD HAS GIVEN US A GREAT OPPORTUNITY TO SHOW OUR WORTH AS ARCHITECTS OF A NEW STATE AND LET IT NOT BE SAID THAT WE DID NOT PROVE EQUAL TO THE TASK.”
It is since that day that these words under the Portrait of the Quaid-e- Azam have decorated our main library Hall.

With the opening of the Fatima Jinnah Medical College, admission of women to the KEMC was stopped during 1948-49. Postgraduate teaching for DO, DGO., DMRT and TDD was instituted. Research papers published in this period include” Chronic Intestinal Obstruction” by Professor Riyaz-e-Qadeer, ” Etiology of Gallstones” by Professor Amir ud Din,” Coronary Heart Disease in Pakistan” by Prof. Pirzada and a paper on Tuberculosis by Dr. AH. Anwar.

A Department of paediatric was started in 1948 under Dr. S.M.K. Wasti, who was upgraded as Professor of Medicine (Paediatrics) in 1955. The Department of Orthopedic Surgery was created in July, 1956 under Dr. Ayyub Ahmed Khan. The number of students rose to 753 in 1957-58. New hostels for men and women were completed.

Lt. Col. S.M.K. Malick
1954-1955
A medical reforms commission appointed by the government started work in January, 1960 to study and evaluate medial education and research. In its report to the President, the Commission said that it saw” the frustrated professional working under a too detailed administration and found administration rendered ineffective by its inability to reach the doctor in the field”. Doctors in rural areas were isolated, being visited only for inspection and extremely deficient in felicities and equipment.

There was a shortage of both senior and junior staff . Overwork and general dissatisfaction led to different sections of the educational system laying blame on each others doorstep. Teachers were overburdened with administrative duties. Thus officers from the armed forces, usually Lt. Colonels, were seconded to serve as administrators who were to be permanent secretaries of the Boards of Governors of various institutions. Lt. Col. Rafique Ahmed Khan was the first administrator of KEMC., appointed on the 3 March. 1959. His successor was Lt. Col. Nawab Khan.

On 7th • March, 1959, Lt. Co!. Illahi Bakhsh went on leave before retiring, and’ was succeeded by Dr. Riyaz-e-Qadeer as Principal, who was confirmed in this post in September, of the same year. The title of the post was changed to Chairman Academic Council in December, 1959.

Prof. Riaz-i-Qadeer
1959-1966

- New Ophthalmology Building
- New Kitchens
- Better X-ray machines
- Larger supply of X-ray films
- A second Medical Officer for Radio diagnosis and
Better maintenance of hospital record.
In 1960 there were 23 foreign students and 24 students from East Pakistan, Azad Kashmir, Gilgit and Baluchistan.

Tamgh-i-Pakistan was awarded in 1958 to Professors M.A. Prizada and Amir ud Din, the latter also being awarded the Sitara-i-Imtiaz in 1960.

Dr. Illahi Baksh had drafted his monumental work on Medicine while a prisoner of the Japanese. This was published shortly before his death in April 1960, while he was serving on the Medical Reforms Commission. In honour of his service to medical education and his association with this college for over a quarter of a century, he was awarded the Sitara-i-Quaid-i-Azam in 1959, and the Punjab University decided to posthumously confer the degree of Doctor of Laws Honoris Causa upon him.

At the completion of its 100 years of existence, the college had a turn over of about a 100 students yearly, with 679 men and 55 women undergraduates on the rolls . The Mayo Hospital now held 800 beds and the lady Willingdon a 100. There were also 20 postgraduate students, including one lady. The exam: programme was revised by the University. The library had 16,173 books and a reading room. The 4 men and 1 women’s hostel housed 401 and 27 hostellers respectively, plus 9 postgraduate residents.

Primary FRCS examination was discontinued after trial because of too few students. Postgraduates took the MO/MS degrees though the courses of studies were not regularly conducted. New chairs were created in operative surgery, ENT, clinical Midwifery, Anaesthesia and Cardiology. New Departments established in Mayo Hospital, included Thoracic Surgery, Cardiology, Dermatology, Orthopedic and Pediatrics. The following new buildings were constructed: Out patients Department in Rattan bagh 50 bed Children Hospital. A wing of the A VH to house 32 patients Lahore General Hospital, Radium Institute

In its report on K.E. Medical College the Medical Reform Committee concluded as follows:-
“Despite the Fortuitousness which has often appeared to characterize its progress during the past century its achievement has been quite remarkable, especially in view of its narrow financial resources.”

The King Edward Medical College, Lahore remained for a long time the only institution of its kind in the Northern part of the subcontinent and during pre-independence period attracted students also from South East Asia, British Africa and even the West Indies. After independence it has served the needs not only of the country but also of the brotherly Muslim countries. The following countries have been sending their students for medical studies to the. College.’ Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Jordon, Bahrain, Malaysia, Iran , Kuwait, Syria, Palestine, Qatar, Egypt, South Yemen, Mauritius, Sri Lanka, UAE. Nepal, Lebanon, Gambia, Kenya, Libya, Sweden, Britain, Afghanistan and Canada.

The King Edward Medical College has been actively engaged in postgraduate studies also and after 1960 emphasis was placed on postgraduate diploma courses leading to postgraduate qualifications. These courses and training programmes have lead to the following Diplomas.
M.D., MS, D.M.RE., DTC.D., D.L.O., D.A.M.S., DA, D.C.P. D.M.RT, D.M.RD., D.G.O., F.C.P.S. PART-I.

In addition a six months preparatory course for primary FRCS was also instituted in 1961. The course lasted for 4 years and out of a total of 211 candidates 81 passed the primary FRCS of the Royal College of Surgeons , England.
The courses were initially organized by the Professors from the Royal College of Surgeons, England, namely Professor RJ Last and Professor David salome, later on, however, these courses were fully conducted by the local staff comprising Professor Afzal, Alamdar Hussain, Lase, RK. Madan, Riayaz-e-Qadeer and Hameed Sheikh, Initially all the examiners came from England but later Professor Riayaz-e-Qadeer and Hameed Sheikh were appointed by the Royal College of Surgeons, England as examiners which was a unique honour for the King Edward Medical College.

The postgraduate examination of the Royal College of surgeons were abandoned when the Pakistan College of Physicians and Surgeons came into being now this college offers MCPS and FCPS Diplomas in most subjects as postgraduate qualifications. The diploma courses have been taken over by the postgraduate Medical Institute which was established at the King Edward Medical College campus in 1914 and was first of its kind in the Punjab. It is temporarily housed in the experimental medicine and animal house of King Edward Medical College, Lahore.

Professor of King Edward Medical College, Lahore extend full participation in the postgraduate courses conducted by the postgraduate Medical Institute . King Edward Medical College Alumni being spread far and wide both within the country and abroad., bringing a good name to their country and almamater as teacher of repute, scholars and Practitioners of the art of medicine. the senior teacher staff of the college willingly imparted postgraduate education at no cast basis in addition to the heavy undergraduate teaching duties without any extra remuneration. This act of dedication is indeed very commendable.

During the year 1951, Professor Mahboob Rabbani was retired from service and was succeeded by Professor Abdul Hameed Khan.

The number of students on College Rolls rose to 153 in 1951-58. The construction work on the new Hostels for men and women students were completed .After October, 1958 Administrators were appointed in the various medical colleges, King Edward Medical College being no exception.

Professor Riayaz-e-Qadeer remained Principal of the College from June 1959 to June 1966. This was very eventful period during which as already mentioned a solid foundation was made for postgraduate studies and research. Various medical and surgical specialties were created.

It was largely due to the foresight of Professor Riayaz-e-Qadeer as Principal of the College that specialty Departments were created one after the other and their development was encouraged. it is this feature of King Edward Medical College, Lahore which even today distinguishes it from other teaching institutions. these specialties namely, Orthopedics, Cardiac surgery, urology and Chest surgery on the surgical side and Tuberculosis and Chest Diseases, Cardiology, Dermatology, Paediatrics and Neurology on the medical side were either existing or created during the tenure of Professor Riayaz-e-Qadeer as Principal, of the College. The dates of creation of these specialties Department and their brief history is mentioned in the subsequent pages in necessarily and chronological order with a view to highlight each individual department separately.

The year 1965 also saw Indo-Pak war when Senior Clinical teachers played active part in giving expert medical aid to the war causalities.
During the tenure of Professor Riyaz-e-Qadeer Administrators were appointed by the martial Law authorities which had taken over the administration of the country in 1958.

The first Administrator was Lt. Co!. Rafique Ahmed Khan and second was Lt. Co!. Nawab Khan. These Administrators continued from march 1959 to June 1962.


Prof. Abdul Hameed Sheikh
1966 – 1969
During this period Professor Riyaz -e- Qadeer worked as Chairman Academic Council. At the time of the centenary celebrations of the College in 1960 Professor Riyaz -e- Qadeer was the Chairman Academic Council and Lt. Col. Nawab Khan was the Administrator of the College. To meet the shortage of doctors in the country new Medical Colleges were opened. It is a credit it again to the King Edward Medical College that most of the teaching staff of these young institutions was provided by the Alumni of this College.
Consequently much of the financial resources had to be diverted to these newer institutions and this adversely affected the pace of development of the Mother Institution, King Edward Medical College.
Professor Abdul Hameed Sheikh, Professor of Pathology took over the charge of the office of Principal in June 1966 and continued until July 1969.The main achievement during this period was the construction of a building to house the institute of Experimental Medicine and an animal house. This was to facilitate animal experiments of the undergraduates and postgraduates as well as to meet the needs of the Pathology Department. The facility also helped the teachers and postgraduates to conduct basic research in the College campus.

Prof. Sardar Ali Sheikh July to Nov. 1969, 1971
The subsequent years however saw the housing of the Postgraduate Institute in the building again out of necessity, but certainly at the expense of the purpose for which this building and equipment were put up in the first place.

The College used to experience water shortage, in the summer months particularly leading to interruption of practical and laboratory work. The gardens also suffered due to lack of water supply. However a new tube well was installed in 1968-69 which helped to overcome the problem of water supply both for the laboratory needs and irrigation of gardens.
During this period a lending library was also established, which was a very welcome facility for the undergraduates, especially for those students who could not buy their own books. They could now borrow their text books from the lending library.
More medical journals and magazines were added to the already existing ones which further helped in the academic pursuits of the undergraduate and postgraduate students.

The existing Departments of Pediatrics and Dermatology were improved and two new specialties were added during this period. i.e. Neurology and experimental medicine.

Professor Abdul Hameed Sheikh retired in July 1969 and Professor Sardar Ali Sheikh took over as Principal in the same month. This term was short, four months, he handed over the charge to Professor N.A. Seyal who remained Principal from December 1969 to September 1971.

Prof.M.Akhtar-Khan
This period saw a good many development schemes move ahead. These included additions and alterations of six lecture theatres, addition and alternation of back verandah of Pharmacology Department, improvement of electric supply to the Physiology Department, purchase of equipment for the research and experimental medicine departments, purchase of airconditioners for the basic departments. Installation of electron microscope the first of its kind in the country for the Anatomy Department through the Colombo plan and the construction of a new Boys Hostel thus enlarging the scope of accommodation for the increasing number of students.

The most important achievement was the purchase of land for a new Campus of the Medical College and a Training Hospital near the University Campus , Lahore.
Thus writes the Principals in this annual report, ” One hundred and five acres of land have been purchased at a total cost of RS. 15,00,000 for the construction of a new Medical College and a Teaching Hospital near the University Campus Lahore during 1969-70. Program PCI for the scheme has since been submitted to the Government for approval of scheme and provision of funds. The building of this college are very old and require lots of modifications, additions and alterations to meet the needs of the day”.

However the march of time and circumstances did not allow this project to prosper and the opening of new medical college put such a burden on the financial resources of the Government that this idea remained a mere dream.

Professor Sardar Ali Sheikh took over again from Professor N.A. Seyal in September 1971 and remained Principal until April 1973. Soon after he took over the second Indo Pakistan war broke out in December 1971 and once again the country was plunged into tragedy and disaster. The Eastern wing of Pakistan was separated as a result, and lots of causalities occurred even on the Western wing due to indiscriminate air attack. The Alumni of this College once again stood behind their brethren in war and gave valuable medical help and treatment both at Lahore and in the forward sectors.
During this period the second story, started earlier, for the Girls Hostel was completed. A new Boys Hostel was sanctioned by the Government , Books furniture and equipment was purchased for the basic departments and the Department of Experimental Medicine.

An auditorium was constructed to a accommodate large assemblies and conferences in 1972-73. Ironically, what seemed adequate at that time has proved too small within a few years. Due to the large intake of students this 250 seated auditorium does not seem large enough for the purpose it was intended to serve.
A mosque was built on the College premises for the benefit of the students. The money for the mosque was mainly provided by the Government, but the Auqaf Department and the students themselves also contributed through their union funds, a noble gesture indeed.

A cold storage plant in the Anatomy Department had become unserviceable due to passage of time and a new one was sanctioned in its place. The Departments of Community Medicine (Hygiene), Forensic Medicine, neurology and an additional medical unit were separately accommodated during this period. The Department of Cardio Vascular Surgery set up in May 1968 was put on a proper footing by a qualified Cardiac Surgeon, Dr. Mohammad Aslam Cheema.

Prof. N.A. Seyal
1969-1971, 1979 –
The number of scholarships and fee remisSions were increased by the Government during this period, thus helping the needy students financially. A total of over 150 different scholarships and over 80 fee remissions of either total or half fee existed during this period.
Professor Sardar Ali Sheikh retired in April, 1973 and Professor Mohammad Akhtar Khan took over as Principal in April, 1973, Alas Professor Sardar Ali Sheikh is no more among us . A dedicated teacher, a craftsman surgeon, a capable administrator and a wise counsel; that was Professor Sardar AP Sheikh. May His Soul Rest in Peace (Ameen).

Professor M. Akhtar Khan remained Principal from 1973 to April, 1979, During this period more specialties departments came into being or became part of the Medical College with full fledged professorial chairs. In fact, with regard to expansion of the existing units and establishment of new units the period of Professor M. Akhtar Khan was a period of remarkable growth in the history of the College. After Professor Riaz-e-Qader the name of Professor M. Akhtar Khan stands out distinctly as architect of the academic units of the college. Medical Units increased from three to five, surgical units increased from three to four. Ophthalmology and ENT units both had an additional professorial chair created during this period..

Neurology Unit was accommodated independently in Madden Gopal Wing of the Mayo Hospital, and came into being as a separate unit. In the Department of Pediatrics a chair of preventive pediatric was created. New professorial chairs were created for departments of psychiatry, Radiology and Radiotherapy as hitherto these departments were not represented at the college but functioned at the hospital level only.
The Annual College Convocation had not been held for seven years since 1971 and it was in Professor M. Akhtar Khan’s tenure that college convocation was held on 23 of February 1978 in which President of Pakistan. Mr. Fazal Ellahi Chaudhry was the Chief Guest. As this convocation had been held after a long gap it was particularly rejoiced by the college faculty members as well as students. The college gazette published a special convocation number on the occasion.

A contact with KEMC Alumni of North America was established initial during the tenure of Professor Sardar Ali Sheikh but it was during the tenure of Professor M. Akhtar Khan Dr. Amanullah visited the college and laid the foundations of what was subsequently to constitute an important land mark in establishing fraternal bonds between the almamater and our Alumni from all over the world and particularly from North America.
In 1974 first workshop was held under the auspices of WHO in which facilitators from Iran took part and laid foundation for trained local manpower consisting of Professor M. Akhtar Khan as the leader., Professor K. Saadiq Hussain, Professor S.AR. Gardezi, Professor Taqayya Sultana Abdi and Professor Munawar Hayat. The trained and highly motivated teachers of K.E. Medical College, established a Medical Education Centre under the guidance of Professor M. Akhtar Khan with Professor LAX Tareen appointed as Secretary Medical Education Centre. This gradually grew larger and more medical teachers both from King Edward Medical College and other local colleges were associated with it as facilitators after having themselves attended the workshops. Among those were Professor LAX. Tareen Dr. Khalil Rana and Professor Nasib R. Awan, from our own Faculty, Professor RX. Madan and Professor Nabilha Hassan from Fatima Jinnah Medical College and Professor Ijaz Ahsan from Allama Iqbal Medical College, Lahore. Subsequently during the tenure of Professor K. Saadiq Hussain as Principal this grew up into Provincial Medical Education Centre and conducted workshops on Medical Education and Evaluation both at the King Edward Medical College and other medical colleges of the province including Nishtar Medical College, Multan and Quaid -e- Azam Medical College, Bahawalpur. The provincial Medical Centre is housed in a portion of Patiala Block.

Postgraduate Medical Institute was initiated in the experimental medicine block and animal house adjacent to the pathology Department of the College. The new Casualty Block which was subsequently built and has now been commissioned into use was initiated during the tenure of Professor M. Akhtar Khan . The Dermatology Department was built in the Out Patient Block of Mayo Hospital and as the old premises of Dermatology Department were vacated the Department of neurology was accommodated in the Madan Gopal wing of the Hospital where the Dermatology Department was previously housed.

A scheme for the construction of a well planned modern department of Neurology was prepared and sent to the Government in 1979

During this period on going schemes like repairs and renovation of the college buildings continued, a new hostel block was completed and in the Mayo Hospital, new Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Urology, Psychiatry, a new unit in lady Willingdon Hospital, for Obstetrics and Gynecology and extension of Neurosurgery unit at Lahore General Hospital, was completed. An intensive care unit was established in the Mayo Hospital, for patients of Ischaemic myocardial disease.

The Islamic Submit Conference took place in Lahore in 1974 and the staff of King Edward Medical College, gave round the Clock Medical Care to the visiting, heads of the States and the dignitaries and staff accompanying them at the airport and at their respective places of residence. In December 1976 King Edward Medical College hosted a National Teachers Convention in which teacher from all the Medical Colleges of Pakistan gathered for a 3 days Conference at which vital issues were taken up for discussion in order to improve medical education, revise curricula, modernize examination techniques, lay down objectives and make instruction methods more relevant to the objectives. Views expressed in the Conference by the Medical teachers from all over the country were compiled in the form of proceedings and recommendations of the Conference. These were approved by the Government and are in the process of implementation. Prof. M. Akhtar Khan was himself keenly interested in the subject of medical education and established a Medical Education Centre at the College.

A number of senior teachers attended courses and seminars on medical education and evaluation in Sheraz and Dundi. Amongst them were Professors M. Akhtar Khan, . K. Saadiq Hussain, S.A.R.Gardezi and Taqayya Sultana Abdi. This was to form a nucleus for the establishment of a Provincial medical Education Centre which undertook the task of conducting education workshops from time to time at King Edward Medical College and also at other medical colleges in the Punjab. These workshops have exposed more and more teachers to this new experience and learning. Some of our senior teachers at King Edward Medical College and the other two medical colleges at Lahore have also attended workshops at the college of physicians and surgeons, Pakistan, Karachi. A permanent Medical Education Centre headed by Professor M. Akhtar Khan was established in the premises of King Edward Medical College with Prof. Tareen as its secretary, as well as a sub office of the College of Physicians and Surgeons, Pakistan, Karachi of Which Professor M. Akhtar Khan was the Vice President. These developments considerably enhanced the tempo of postgraduate studies and examinations at Lahore for the benefit of postgraduate students from the Punjab.

Professor M. Akhtar Khan retired in 1979 and professor N.A. Seyal took over as Principal of the College for his second term of office and remained so from April 1979 to July 1981. Soon after taking over, Professor N.A. Seyal actively followed the threads of establishing contact with KEMC Alumni Association of North America. The idea materialized in March 1980 when the first KEMC Alumni International Symposium was held at King Edward Medical College. It goes to the credit of Professor N.A.Seyal that that first implementation of KEMC Alumni symposia materialized due to his keen interest in the project which had been initiated by Professor M. Akhtar Khan.

The second KEMC Alumni International Symposium took place in March 1981 and was even more fervently enjoyed by all the participants. As December was the time of the year when most of our Alumni in North America can find time to visit Pakistan, it was decided to hold the subsequent symposia in December each year. By now there was a general feeling that a prominence should be granted to this arrangement by forming a KEMC Alumni Association at an international level so that a strong link is constantly maintained to encourage cooperation and kinship amongst the graduates of the college. A draft constitution was prepared and is now in the process of finalization.
The college convocation was held on 30th of March, 1980 in which Professor N.A. Seyal outlined the progress of the college and its various departments. He made a mention of the medical education centre of which in addition to Professor M. Akhtar Khan. Professor K. Saadiq Hussain, Professor S.A. R Gardezi Professor Munawar Hayat, Dr. Khalil Rana and Dr. I. A. K Tareen were the members . The centre had already exposed more than 100 medical teachers from various medical colleges of Punjab to the latest educational methods.

Professor N. A. Seyal retired in July 198 I and Professor K Saadiq Hussain took over as Principal of the College. The spirit of KEMC Alumni symposia received a renewed fresh vigor with the person of Professor K. Saadiq Hussain who was as keen in the idea as his two predecessors. in fact the enthusiasm generated by Professor K. Saadiq Hussain was so great that the third such symposium was planned for December of the same year with a gap of nine months only instead of putting it off till the next December.

Professor N.A. Seyal had been the Chairman and Professor Munawar Hayat, Secretary of the organizing Committee for the first two KEMC Alumni International Symposia. As Professor N. A. Seyal retired in July 1981, it was decided by the College Council unanimously that with Professor Khawaja Saadiq Hussain as the new Chairman of Organizing Committee, Professor Munawar Hayat will continue as Secretary of the Organizing Committee and arrange for the 3rd Alumni International Symposium in December 1981.

The 3rd Alumni International Symposium was held in December 1981. On this occasion a shield of honour was presented by the KEMC Alumni Association of North America to Professor N. A. Seyal who had now retired and Professor Munawar Hayat for their pioneer work in putting the symposia on firm footing and making them a part of college traditions.

After the 3rd Alumni Symposium , Professor LAX. Tareen took over from Professor Munawar Hayat as Secretary, Organizing Committee while Professor Khawaja Saadiq Hussain, Principal of the College remained Chairman of the Organizing committee as before .Under their able guidance three subsequent KEMC Alumni International Symposia were held in December 1982, December 1984. Thus so far six KEMC Alumni Symposia have been held.

MOHTARMA FATIMA JINNAH QUAID-E-MUHAMMADALI JINNAH

PRESENTED BY DR. AMJAD RIAZ SHAH, GRADUATE OF K.E. MEDICAL COLLEGE, LAHORE. S/O LATE PROF SYED RIAZ ALI SHAH A HISTORIC PICTURE CAPTIONED BY MOHTARMA FATIMA JINNAH IN APPRECIATION OF SELFLESS AND DEVOTED SERVICES RENDERED BY DR. RIAZ ALI SHAH, HEAD DEPARTMENT OF CHEST MEDICINE, KEMC DURING THE ILLNESS OF QUAID-E-AZAM MUHAMMAD ALI JINNAH AT ZIARAT-QUETTA. ON 19TH MARCH, 1950

Professor Khawaja Saadiq Hussain has a keen interest in Medical education. Through his dynamic approach, the programme of medical education workshops was carried forward with new zeal and luckily for the College. Professor M. Akhtar Khan even after his retirement continued to take keen interest in the provincial medical education centre. Professor M. Akhtar Khan was also lately Vice President of College of Physicians and Surgeons and consequently a sub office of the College was opened at Patiala Block, King Edward Medical College and College examinations were also conducted.

Prof. Kh. Saadiq Hussain
1981-1986

The College of Physicians and surgeons was indeed very lucky in having as energetic a person as Professor M. Akhtar Khan for its Vice President. He took pains to conduct the college examinations and devoted lot of his personal time to the furtherance of activities of the College of Physicians & Surgeons.

In the tenure of Professor Khawaja Saadiq Hussain as Principal, academic life of the College improved tremendously. Examinations were held on time and progressively antedated in order to eliminate the gap between the prescribed duration of MBBS course and the actual one. It goes to the credit of Professor Khawaja Saadiq Hussain that against heavy odds this gap is now almost closed up and the graduation period had now been successfully shortened from 7 years to just over 5 years. The finalization of admission of first year class is also now being done by using modern computer technology and the time has been shortened so that the aim of finalizing admission within a couple of weeks, after the Board examination result, is almost achieved.

It was to the lot of Professor Khwaja Saadiq Husain, the 23′d Principal of the College, that the Centenary Silver Jubilee year 1985 had fallen in his tenure. The centenary silver jubilee celebrations and convocation were inaugurated by the Governor of the Punjab, Lt.Gen (Rtd) Ghulam Jilani. A special medal “Centenary Silver Jubilee Celebration Medal” was awarded to the best graduate of the year.
Second day of celebration was reserved for discussion about transfer of technology and was graced by the Prime of Pakistan Mr.Muhammad Khan Junejo. On the last day of celebration the Chief Minister of the Punjab, Mian Nawaz Sharief was the chief guest.
Delegates from all over the world including USA,UK,Sweden, India, Japan and Korea, participated. The Alumni undertook to pay the training expanses of the Best Kemcolian every year. The representative from the University of Connecticut agreed and announced to train the graduates of the college through the residency programme of the university.

The period of Prof. Khwaja Saadiq Husain can be termed as the period of improvements of academics and physical developments. During his tenure he raised a team of dedicated workers consisting of Prof. Munawar Hayat, Prof. LAX Tareen, Prof. Nasib R. Awan, Prof. Bilquees Jamal Zafar, Prof. Zahida Sultana Mir, Prof. Muhammad Munir-ul-Haq and Prof. A .H Nagi to undertake the task of development in college. He also developed continuous contacts with KEMC Alumni Association of North America with the sole purpose to equip audio-visual system and Library of the college. Many buildings including Administrative Block, the Anatomy, the Pharmacology, the Pathology, the Forensic Medicine & Toxicology and the Auditorium were renovated. It would not be exaggerating that the face of college bore an entirely new look. Tennis Pavilion and Photographic Section were also added to the main campus and the existing accommodation in the hostels including renovation of Swimming Pool, Mosque and Canteen were done. The Department of Medical Education and Illustration was expanded and the College was declared by the Chancellor and Governor of the Punjab as the Provincial Training Centre for Training in Medical Education. Many courses were arranged and teachers from nearly all the Medical Colleges of the Punjab were trained.

During Prof. Khwaja Saadiq Husain tenure many dignitaries ,like Mr. Bishop, the Dean, Postgraduate Education, UK, Hussain Aglzary, Sidney Tru lover from Oxford, BoLindblad and Dr. Hanson, from Swedon, Mr. Muhammad Amin from China, Mr. F. Yamashita ,Mr. N. Tanska and Maruyama from Japan and Mr. Anthony Fairburn from UK Muhammad Khan Junejo, Prime Minister of Pakistan, Mr Sidney Trulover, Oxford., Mr. Bo Lindblad, Stockholm., Mr. Hanson, Stockholm., Mr. Muhammad Amin., China., Mr. F.Yamashita, Japan., Mr. Anthony Fairburn., USA., Prof. Girdwood, President Royal College of Physicians, Edinburgh., Mr. Abdul Shakoor B. Mohammad, Mr. Abdullah Badawi, Malaysia., .Dr. Lennart Freij SAREC, Stockholm, Sweden and Trevor Silventone Department of Psychiatric Medicine, London visited the College. visited the college. One of the distinguished visitors Mr. John Elis formerly Dean, London Hospital, Medical College University of London in his centenary lecture delivered recently at the Punjab University paid high tributes to this College and its graduates.
Prof. A. C.P. Sims President Royal College of Psychiatry from UK visited the. Department of Psychiatry King Edward Medical College, Lahore thrice between the years 1985-88. The overseas doctors training scheme ( ODTS) was started and experience gained to the Psychiatry Department was recognised for MRCPsy. Exemption from PLEB was also granted.

Prof. A. C.P. Sims President Royal College of Psychiatry from UK visited the. Department of Psychiatry King Edward Medical College, Lahore thrice between the years 1985-88. The overseas doctors training scheme ( ODTS) was started and experience gained to the Psychiatry Department was recognised for MRCPsy. Exemption from PLEB was also granted.

Prof. Iftikhar Ahmed, Professor of Medicine, became the Principal of King Edward Medical College after the retirement of Prof. Khwaja Saadiq Husain and remained Principal from November 1986 to October, 1989. Prior to his posting as Principal, he held the post of Secretary to Government of the Punjab, Health Department He has the singular honour to be the Principal King Edward Medical College in Grade-22. Before retirement he was made Chairman, Chief Minister’s Inspection Team from where he retired. His main interests besides teaching were audio-visual, community oriented medical education and continuing medical education.

During his tenure physical development initiated by Professor Kh. Saadiq Husain continued. He introduced the concept of student patient relationship for patient’s welfare by establishing “Student Patients Welfare Society”. He also organized and improved the existing Blood Bank services for needy patients. Further groups of doctors from the teaching pool were motivated to visit the far flung areas of the Province to provide medical advice to teaming millions belonging to poor community.

On the college side, Close-circuit T. V. system in the Lecture Theatres, Video film for teaching and air-conditioning of the teaching areas were accomplished. New College Academic Council Hall was established and furnished. Many departments of the college were updated and provided the latest medical equipment’s. The cases to install Electron Microscope for Pathology Department and grant of autonomy were initiated. The President of Pakistan was requested during the convocation address to help grant of these projects. The college was also linked with George Town University, Washington, U.S.A with the help of KEMC Alumni Association of North America.

Prof. Iftikhar Ahmad
Nov. 1986-Oct.1989

His pursuation to the Alumni for the improvement of Audio-visual systems in the college bore fruits and the KEMC Alumni Association during one of the International Symposium on “Update of Medicine” agreed to establish the Audio-visual Library in the College and donated the first installment of U.S.$ 8,000 for the purpose. The College was made autonomous in 1987 in administrative, financial and academic matters. During his Principal ship, dignitaries like Mr. N.V Addison, Chairman Primary FRCS Examination of RCS of England.
Prof. Bashir Ahmed, Professor of Neurosurgeryserved two terms as Principal from October 1989 to may 1991 and from July 1991 to December1993 with a break in the month of june1991 when Prof. Shaukat Razakhan was appointed as Principal in the month of June, 1991 by the Supreme Court of Pakistan for the remaining period of his services.

During his tenure efforts were made by obtaining the funds to complete the ongoing schemes and to start a number of new Projects.


Prof. Bashir Ahmad,
Oct. 1989 to May 1991
July 1991 to Dec. 19993

In order to streamline the undue delay in the admission to the first year MBBS classes, two batches were admitted simultaneously in 1990 i.e. the first in the month of January for the students who qualified their F.Sc (Premedical ) in 1989 and the second in the month of September for those who passed their FSc examination in August 1990.

As a result of the decision of the Supreme Court in December 1990 almost equal number of female students were to be accommodated in the college hostel for the 1991 admission at a time when 110 girls were admitted against fifteen reserved seats in the past. The old girls hostel could not take over the additional load. Therefore the newly constructed internee hostel adjacent to the emergency ward was provided to the girl students by shifting the male internees to the Hall Road boys hostel

All the Professional Examinations were brought forward with the whole hearted support of the college academic council and members of the Board of Studies of the University of the Punjab A large number of books were added to the college library out or the generous grant given by the Prime Minister of Pakistan.

Around the clock telephone service was made available to the students in the hostels.

The old Pathology Department Building and adjacent Research and Postgraduate Training Centre were renovated and expensive equipment was added which included even a state of the art Electron Microscope.

Two new buses were obtained for the Educational visits for the Medical Students.

A reading room was established in the boys hostel and the main reading room adjacent to the college tuck shop was provided with new books, furniture and air-conditions.

A scheme for the renovation of historical Patiala Block was prepared which has recently been accomplished.

A century old demand of the students was met by providing them hard Tennis Courts in the college sports complex.

Professor Shaukat Raza Khan was appointed Principal of King Edward Medical College, Lahore on 26th September, 1990. A High Court stay order made him hand over the charge with in a few days back to Prof Bashir Ahmed. After a prolonged legal battle, Supreme Court of Pakistan re-instated him as Principal on 1st June, 1991.

Although his period of service as Principal was very short but as head of the department of paediatrics, he developed various sub specialties. In collaboration with WHO and Sweden, the department was recognized as regional center for the management of diarrhea and RTI.


Prof. Shaukat Raza Khan
(June, 1991 to 30 June, 1991)

Prof. Ejaz Ahsan, a Professor of Surgery took over as Principal of the college after the retirement of Prof. Bashir Ahmed. He believed in the students discipline, punctuality and regularity of attendance. He was a great opponent of unmerited migrations. During his tenure he insisted that no student would be sent up for University examination unless the statuary percentage of attendance is met. ~.1uch felt need for the Department of Critical Care and Pulmonary Medicine was got sanctioned and established by him.

Prof. Ijaz Ahsan
January 1994 to February, 1995

Prof Naseer M .Akhtar, M.BBS.(Punjab) FR.CS (Eng) FCPS(Pak) has been associated with this institution ever since he Joined it as a student in 1954 after having done his F. Sc. from Government College, Lahore with an outstanding academic record in the school and premedical college education.

After completing his Medical Education as an alrounder in academics as well as sports field, he proceeded abroad to acquire postgraduate qualification of F.RCS and acquired it within the minimum period of time.


Prof. Naseer Mahmood Akhtar
8.5.1995 – 1997

During his period as Principal, a lot of development work was done. The main College Building was completely renovated after a span of 89 years (19 151996), preserving the main character of the building.

The new Hostel of foreign students was inaugurated and schemes for a new hostel, demolishing the old hostel on Hall Road have been prepared. New schemes have been initiated to construct a multipurpose Auditorium Complex adjacent to the existing Auditorium. The College sports ground has been expanded for better facilities to conduct various sporting events.

In academics he strived to bring the Examination Schedule of University of the Punjab back to normal with considerable success.
Air conditioned reading rooms have been added to the Hostels to provide better facilities for the students.
The College has been selected by WHO & Govt of the Punjab as a Model College for introducing the Community Oriented Medical Education with a new Problem Based, integrated, self learning type of curriculum which would be relevant to the needs of the Community.
The College Library has been updated with installation of Computers with internet & other latest facilities. The College Computer Cell has been updated with facilities for the students and the teaching faculty to obtain training in Computers All this has been possible with his personal efforts in collaboration with King Edward Medical College Alumni Association of North America.
Overall atmosphere in the College Campus has been very cordial and all academic as well as extra curricular activities have been encouraged & taking place in a very peaceful atmosphere.
He has devoted a lot of importance to the Research & has activated the Postgraduate & Research Centre of the College after many years of dormancy & a number of Research Projects are going on in the Centre.

For the first time a Directory of all the research work done & being conducted has been prepared. The other most important document i.e., “Updated history of KEMC” is in your hands. Annals of King Edward Medical College- a quarterly Journal is regularly published and is recognized by PMDC.
All this was possible to achieve because he believes in involving his faculty members in decision making and has been enjoying their full support. In the pages that follow a brief account of the individual departments of King Edward Medical College is given outlining the progress and the present stage of development of each individual department

Dr. Mahmud Ali Malik took the charge as Principal of this college in December 1997 and he remained on this post for three month only, which was a very short time. As a doctor and administrator Dr. Mahmood Ali was dedicated personality. He had great enthusiasm for his job. He was retired March 1998.

Prof. Mehmood Ali Malik
Dec. 1997 – March 1998

Prof. Iftikhar Ali Raja was appointed as Principal King Edward Medical College on 12.5.1998. He was retired as Chief Executive of King Edward Medical College & Allied Hospitals, Lahore on 31.3.2000. Dr. Iftikhar Ali Raja previously work as Assistant Professor of Neurosurgery and than he joined Nishtar Medical College, Multan. He served their as a Professor and Head of the Neurosurgery department later he was appointed Principal, Nishtar Medical College, Multan. From Nishtar Medical College, Multan he joined King Edward Medical College as Professor of Neurosurgery and also hold the post of visiting Neurosurgeon of Lahore General Hospital, Lahore. Apart from his specified qualification in Neurosurgery he had a special diploma course in acupuncture from college of traditional Medicine Nankings People’s Republic of China during his tenure they political and administrative scenario of the country was changing more and more institutions were getting autonomy and ultimately King Edward Medical College was declared as autonomous institutions. Dr. Iftikhar Ali Raja was the first Chief Executive of King Edward Medical College & Allied Hospitsls.

Prof. Iftikhar Ali Raja
(Principal – May 1998 –1999)
(Principal Executive Officer –
(1999- March 2000)

Professor Dr. Mumtaz Hasan was the last Principal and is the first Vice Chancellor of this prestigious institute which is now a Medical University from King Edward Medical College (KEMC) after its long journey of 146 years. This University came into being by the untiring and sustained efforts of Prof. Dr. Mumtaz Hasan (Sitara-i-Imtiaz) who took over the charge of this Institution as a Principal in 1999.

Prof. Mumtaz Hasan (S.I)
(Principal Executive Officer
(1999- May 2005
Vice Chancellor
(January 2006 -2008 )

The historic event took place on 12th May 2005 when the Act of the Establishment of King Edward Medical University was passed. The Notification was issued on 7th January 2006 by the orders of the Governor of Punjab. Through another Notification issued by the Governor of Punjab on 31st January 2006 Prof. Mumtaz Hasan (Sitara-i-Imtiaz) was appointed as acting Vice Chancellor of this second oldest institute of the subcontinent. This was a great event leading this institution to a new destination and proving itself to be the best in medical learning and research.
Prof. M. Zafar Ullah Khan
Vice Chancellor, KEMU
Establishment of such a University was a pressing need of the time by which the level of Medical Education will have a steep rise. Prof. Mumtaz Hasan (Sitara-i-Imtiaz) has keen interest in Medical Education and by his dynamic vision the standard of Medical Education improved and the developmental projects were also started and accomplished. In recognition of his services Sitara-i-Imtiaz has been conferred on him. Prof. Mumtaz Hasan (Sitara-i-Imtiaz) has an outstanding academic record in school, pre-medical and medical education. As a Principal King Edward Medical College & Allied Hospitals he has a long list of achievements and his enlighted vision will lead this new born University into an era of learning and motivation.

This period saw a good many development schemes moved ahead, there was up-gradation of emergency and outpatients block. Now the construction of surgical tower has been started, which is nine storey building and will be a kind of its own.

The construction of Nursing School has also started. It will be an outstanding Institute for the undergraduate and postgraduate students. Lecture theatres are being renovated and have been upgraded, fully air-conditioned. The construction of cold storage is in progress in the Department of Forensic Medicine, which will ease the preservation of dead bodies. New furniture and latest equipment is also provided to the basic departments.

academic side the curricula both for undergraduate and postgraduate have been revised. A Community Medical Education and problem based learning program was devised. Different postgraduate courses have also started. Foreign faculties were also hired under the auspicious of Higher Education Commission (HEC). The HEC has registered this institution for using the resources on PERI system. Our institution has access to Blackwell publishing journals through the INASP/PERI programs. With the collaboration of King Edward Medical College Alumni Association of North America (KEMCAANA) a Computer Lab has been established in Biochemistry Department which enables us to keep pace with the moving word.

Being the Head of King Edward Medical College and now King Edward Medical University, Prof. Mumtaz Hasan (Sitara-i-Imtiaz) is also the Head of the Faculty of Medicine. The East Medical Ward where he is a Consultant Physician of Medicine is a Model Medical Unit.

As a person Prof. Mumtaz Hasan (Sitara-i-Imtiaz) is a good human being and he feels the pain and agony of the patients. His dealing with the patients is full of sympathy and love. He has made it possible to provide food without any cost to the Indoor patients of Mayo Hospital, who has an average strength of 1800 beds.

In the pages that will follow the history of King Edward Medical University, Prof. Mumtaz Hasan (Sitara-i-Imtiaz) will be further recognized as dedicated teacher, a capable administrator, and wise counsel.

About these ads

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

%d bloggers like this: